For this recipe you will need the following equipment:
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 medium baking tray / muffin tray
- 12 cupcake cases (I used silicon ones, but paper ones will work just as well)
- Self Raising flour – 5 oz (142g approx.)
- Butter or Margarine – 4 oz (113g approx.)
- Caster Sugar – 5 oz (142g approx.)
- Medium Eggs – 2
- Medium Lemons – juice of 1 and 1/2
- Poppy Seeds – 1 tbls
- Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil – 1 tbls
1. Prepare the cupcake cases, and preheat the oven to 160°c. (I’m currently at university using a rather beaten up oven, it’s electric and not fan assisted. So you may need to adjust your oven accordingly)
2. Mix together the butter with 4 oz of caster sugar. The mixture needs to be light and creamy.
3. Add the eggs and 4 oz of flour. Add about half each of the ingredients at a time, and beat the mixture until smooth. Also add the tablespoon of oil.
4. Now stir in the poppy seeds, and slowly add the lemon juice. When the mixture begins to get watery add in the remaining flour and sugar.
5. Separate the mixture into the cases.
6. Place on the bottom shelf of the oven, and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Once cooled they make a wonderful treat.